Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Here Comes The Carl Zeiss ZF 85/1.4

I got it, finally!

I am a Carl Zeiss(CZ) fan. For sake of this reason, I would like to bought the cameras on which the CZ lenses can be mounted.

My first camera with built-in CZ lens is Contax T2, which was equipped with a Carl Zeiss T* 38/2.8 lens. I got this one in 1991. Thanks to CZ optics quality, this lens is sharper than all Nikon lenses I owned that time, including AI 35/2, AIS 105/2.5 and AIS micro 55/2.8.

I enjoyed this gear. It's an exciting experience, wasn't it?

Four years later, I bought a Contax G1. It is an execellent electronic rangfinder with tatanium die-cast. Like most of all traditional rangfinders, the G1 has the ability of interchanging CZ-G lenses. Later, I got all six lenses except the zoom 'Vario-Sonnar'. They are Hologon 16/8, Biogon 21/2.8, 28/2.8, Planar 35/2, 45/2 and the only telephoto Sonnar 90/2. I love the free distortion of the Hologon (just 5 elements), I love the nature tone and extra low distortion of the Biogon, I love the bokeh, nature perspective tone of the Planar, and I love the sharpness of the Sonnar.

But, they are point'n'shoot and RF. I never forget to have an SLR. In the beginning of 21st century, I got a Contax N1.

It's an AF SLR by Kyocera. At that time, the most attractive and popular N-mount lens is Contax N Vario-Sonnar 24-85/3.5-4.5. It is a short but with the incredible 82mm diameter. From most test reports, it can compete best lenses from Nikon and Canon, and even more superior in color tone and resolution. I totally agreed that and was satified with this lens. Actually, "sharpness" is not always my first concern, I loved its beautiful tone than sharpness. CZ can offer my requirement.

Coming the digital time.

I hoped I can own a Contax DSLR from Kyocera. The Contax N Digital, digital edition of N1, was announced later. It was equipped with a full frame CCD, 600M pixel sensor. Nice specification, but I never acquire this one because of its high price. At that time, it costs over NTD$200,000 in Taiwan!

I turned to Nikon later. Definitely, I'm Nikon fan, too (I owned a Nikon F2 photomic AS and Nikon F80). In 2005, Nikon anononced her 1000M pixel D200 with ability of 5fps continuous shooting, friendly to AI, AI-S mount and lots of features. It's my dream camera. But its price is not friendly at all. Although it's inexpensive than Contax N digital, but people must pay NT$60,000 to get this gear in Taiwan. I wondered whether I should get this gear at that time.

In early 2006, Carl Zeiss announced her roadmap about building and supporting Nikon AI-S lenses. Here comes Zeiss ZF mount for Nikon. I think it's time to buy my D200 and the ZF lenses. I cannot miss nither Nikon D200 nor the attactive Carl Zeiss ZF.

Finally, I owned a D200 and CZ ZF 85/1.4. That's the story.














ps. All these photos were shoot by Nikon D200 with AF-S Nikkor 17-55/2.8 G ED DX lens.

No comments: